Friday, September 10, 2010

Reality Sucks. Brain Cells, That Is.

Currently, I am not at my cognitive best. I hope this is a passing phenomenon. If not, we are in a LOT of trouble. What with the new(ish) baby, significant sleep deprivation, two crazy school-aged schedules, the Head Monkey's itinerant work schedule, my work schedule, and keeping track of the flippin' DOG, I literally don't know whether I'm coming or going. Or how to spell anymore. (I already have had to confirm my spelling of itinerant and deprivation. That is SO not like me).

And to make matters worse? I am addicted to soul-sucking, brain-rotting REALITY TELEVISION.

I'm not proud. But these shows are delicious. And curious. And train-wreckalecka. But they are slowing leeching away my very limited IQ points. They also send me into a veritable SINK HOLE of rationalization. I find myself frequently justifying my choices by saying. . . .

At least I don't watch
The Jersey Shore.
Yet.

In a I hope not vain attempt to refire some dormant neurons, I am going on a self-imposed reality television diet. This diet includes refraining from watching the shows and reading the show blogs. In my very limited free time, I should be pursuing that which is noble. (For a full listing of noble pursuits, click here).

I will refrain from thinking about the following, which consumes a shameful amount of my waking hours. . .
  • Is Danielle actually the spawn of Satan?
  • Why won't Kourtney just leave Scott already?
  • How exactly DOES one get into $11 million of debt?
  • Will Bethenny have another baby and how the HELL did her body bounce back like that at age 39? Yes, I know she's 39. Further evidence that I have a problem.
  • Will Bravo create a spin-off of Kelly in a mental health institution?
  • How many different ways can the word douche be used?


Andy Cohen. . . . Ryan Seacrest. . . a loyal follower of your programs must take a break to try to regain her brain. I'll be back someday.










Who am I kidding. I'll probably be back Sunday.
Can't miss those crazy Kardashians.

3 comments:

  1. There's research to suggest that watching these shows actually increases our
    anger responses and makes crazy behavior seem like the norm (I.e. acceptable).
    It also leads to using words like "jeuj-ing" and "agreeance."
    BUT, it also leads to laughter and less wine consumption as our brains are
    lulled into a relaxed, drug like state (based purely on Wise Woman experience;
    not research).

    Diets are good. But, deprivation is not. Good luck. I will let you know what
    happens on Pretty Wild and Teen Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew...
    in the Happiness Project, she mentions leaving something...completely...rather that keeping bits and pieces alive.

    I find this with chocolate. I will tell myself that a little is okay...but then I am right back in it. Completely taking it out of my system is the only way I can see...well, that there is life out there in other areanas....

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....and perhaps it will help with spelling! Yikes! sorry about the typos!

    ReplyDelete