Wednesday, October 6, 2010

One Sentence Wednesday

Warning: This is long. Not one sentence. But still germane to the overall spirit of the one-sentence idea. Bear with me.

In addition to holding the title of Wrangler of Cheeky Monkeydom, I also have the great good fortune of moonlighting as a professor to college-age cheeky monkeys who are studying to be cheeky elementary school teachers. Last Wednesday, some of these students of mine decided it would be fine to text during class and that certainly I WOULDN'T NOTICE.

HA. Don't they know who I am?
I'm The Wrangler, she who knows and sees all in Cheeky Monkeydom, the Home Front AND Cheeky Monkeydom, College Edition.

Well, when I get irritated I strategically choose words from my large vocabulary arsenal to lob at my intended victim(s), which typically results in blank stares. Here was the one sentence that got the attention of the College Monkeys last Wednesday. . .

Before you leave today, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this classroom is quite small, and that I see everything, including those of you who find it necessary to surreptitiously text during class.

Fast forward one week.

Today was my lecture on vocabulary, which happens to be one of my faves. I love words---I am a regular logophile (it's not dirty---look it up, Wise Woman). I mentioned to my class that when I get irritated, I tend to use much more elaborate and precise vocabulary. Don't you know that those cheeky monkeys morphed into HOWLER monkeys, quoting me verbatim from last week's fatwa on texting! I guffawed!

Here is one student's very cheeky rendition of last's week's class. . . .

In case you are wondering, the irate woman is me.

Happy Wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. We (and I use this in the royal sense, as I speak only for myself) shall forgive your logorrhea (not as messy as it sounds) as this story is priceless. Luckily for us all, you are skilled at paedotrophy and thus a competent scolder of naughty behavior. Now, due to my abdominous state, I am off to the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WW, you have a way with words. I wish you could see me now! My abdominous hurts from laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too funny. And now I would be remiss if I didn't point out that not only did said student get the point, but she also clearly sees you as very skinny and well-dressed. :)

    ReplyDelete