Friday, October 1, 2010

The Best Thing I've Read in a While



Seems like I have had a thing for other men this week. (Sorry, Head Monkey. In your absence, I've fallen for a disembodied voice and a fictional man. Stay HOME.) First, my inclement weather guy. Swoon. Now, Major Pettigrew.

I love Major Pettigrew. For me, he is starting to rank up there with Atticus Finch. I would love to be his neighbor and have tea with him, but know that I AM NOT WORTHY. Here's my new favorite quote from the book. . . .

Lord Daginum:
"In my day, that would have sufficed, but these days, men expect their wives to be as dazzling as their mistresses."
"That's shocking!" said the Major. "How on Earth will they tell them apart?"
"My point exactly," said Daginum, missing the Major's hint of irony.

What's not to love about this guy? He is so proper and conflicted and delicious and human.

If you haven't read this already, do. It is a delight. Click here to read a review by someone much more literary than I.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Great...looking for new reads...as always:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. But, I didn't swoon over Major P. Nor did I love Atticus. I see some similarities in these characters (specifically, traits that I didn't love them for). Now, I know Head Monkey fairly well. And I love Head Monkey. I see only one similarity among all 3: they are all very tall. So, I'm confused. I must conclude that your literary "type" is totally different from your "life monkey" type. Which is good (see earlier reference to generally not-loving literary examples.). As for the inclement weather guy, LOVE him and all like him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree with your analysis. My literary types are definitely NOT very similar to my "life monkey" type. I like having a life monkey. Maybe that should be his new name. . .

    ReplyDelete