Saturday, July 24, 2010

But it WASN'T Spilt Milk!

Remember that book that we've all read to various monkeys a million times? It Looked Like Spilt Milk? An excerpt for your reading pleasure. . .
It looked like spilt milk. But it wasn't spilt milk.
It looked like a cow. But it wasn't a cow.
It looked like a donkey. But it wasn't a donkey.
It was just a cloud in the sky.
You get the idea. Well, here is a variation on that theme.

Bread Quest Style.

I thought it was the recipe. But it wasn't the recipe.
I thought it was the yeast. But it wasn't the yeast.
I thought it was the temperature of my oven. But it wasn't the temperature of my oven.

Drat.

I know it is not a cloud in the sky. I THINK it might be the inexperience of the baker.

Fear not, Wise Woman. I will not relent.

The next variable to be contained. . .

I thought it was using the mixer instead of my hands.

Hmm. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. My dear, sweet, darling Wranger, you either need THIS: Homemade Wonder Bread (ABM)

    2 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
    1/4 cup warm water (110ºF.)
    1 tbsp. white sugar
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup instant potato flakes
    1/4 cup powdered milk
    2 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup white sugar
    2 tbsp. butter or margarine
    1 cup warm water (110ºF.)

    Whisk together the yeast, 1/4 cup warm water and sugar. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.

    Add ingredients in the order suggested by your machine's manufacturer, including the yeast mixture. Select the basic and light crust setting.

    This recipe yields a 2 lb. loaf.

    Comments: A white bread recipe without a strong yeast flavor. Proofing the yeast first eliminates some of the yeast taste from the final product.

    AUTHOR: DSredTX


    OR THIS:
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.ytimg.com/vi/P85EXMYKXEw/0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dipity.com/timetube/YouTube_Machine_Bread&usg=__xZp6M0Yde8M9HW_yF_B_yQUkgs4=&h=360&w=480&sz=16&hl=en&start=0&sig2=xteOLaZi3dKrNU91h_xQXA&tbnid=q3Q5sxdDvTs5vM:&tbnh=138&tbnw=207&ei=kKhMTOLPDIP48AbRi_kw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwonder%2Bbread%2Bmachine%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1362%26bih%3D530%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=512&vpy=182&dur=204&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=180&ty=120&page=1&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0

    You know which one I suggest...

    ReplyDelete