Thursday, July 15, 2010

Wonder Bread: 1 The Wrangler: 0



I am a wrangler on a mission. Those I live with believe it cannot be done. Others scoff at my quest. I will not be dissuaded. I will prevail. You all are the witnesses to this declaration. . .

I WILL bake a loaf of bread that my family shall
HAPPILY
use for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or die trying.

The Wise Woman asked, "Why do this when you can get bread that perfectly meets their specifications for $1.99 at the grocery store?"

A reasonable question from a reasonable woman. My reasons are threefold:

  1. If Julia can do it, so can I. (If you don't know who Julia is, know that somewhere I am swooning with embarrassment on your behalf).
  2. I am a stubborn cuss of a woman who cannot BELIEVE that her family would prefer store-bought, processed, artificial, high-fructose corn syruped, stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth goo when they can have something fresh, delicious and REAL.
  3. Because. I want to. That's why.
The quest began a year ago. I have been attempting bread machine recipes, light whole wheat recipes, you name it. Nothing, so far, has fit the rigid criteria that these people I live with have for their sandwiches. They desire bread that. . .
  • contains no nuts, obvious grains, or any overtly "healthy stuff"
  • has a light, spongy texture
  • has a subtle flavor that is not overly "wheaty"
  • has a crust, just not one that's hard or crusty (seriously??)
  • has the shape of store-bought bread
In short, these cheeky monkeys want WONDER BREAD. And that ain't happenin'.

I have done my research. I have gathered my tools.


I made my first attempt.

Doesn't look too bad, but. . .









Blech.


I may be down,
but I'm not out.



Stay tuned.

5 comments:

  1. Wise woman 1 wrangler 0. But, that doesn't mean that I don't want to eat the "failures!" Preferably with "death spread." mmmm. Fake butter on your homemade bread? I think I hear heaven calling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to begin following your blog for no other reason than I really want to know when you hit upon the perfect bread recipe!

    The real reason is that I think you're funny. And another reason is that I like your reading list. I love Anne Lamott. Love to Kill a Mockingbird and The Poisonwood Bible. And I JUST put the Happiness Project on hold at my library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a true delight:) Love you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. About the bread...I am a total fan of baking the homemade stuff. Go You! However, I have found that no homemade bread (and I've tried a lot of recipes) has the taste/consistency of wonderbread. Not really even close =(

    I had the chitlins (and hubby =) complaining for a while, but they eventually converted. Plus, I do buy store-bought for certain things like grilled cheese. Don't know why, but there is a total family revolt if I make grilled cheese on homemade bread.

    Kudos to you for persevering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mer, for following! You made my day! And Kalyndra---even I don't think I could use the homemade deliciousness for grilled cheese. Only Wonder Bread can make orange, oily squares of cheese product really shine! But, I will keep pressing (and kneading) on until I find *something* that will satisfy these pesky little people.

    ReplyDelete